Click Here for the latest Favourite Tables Newsletter
The Roster of Great Restaurants Continues to Grow
Now in their third year on Favourite Tables
Chef’s Table a very popular Read
Some great restaurants and gastropubs are “not on the high street”
#FTbadboys a fun Twitter Photo Competition
Coming soon FTbadboy Burgers and Sausage Rolls
Imagine our excitement at being invited to the Italian Embassy again ( Chefs Table with Danilo)
The occasion: MasterChef The Professionals 2015 finalist and head chef at the Italian Embassy in London Danilo Cortellini would be launching his new cook book
‘4 Grosvenor Square’, the first cook book from Danilo Cortellini is a celebration of his time at the Italian Embassy in London, featuring recipes that reflect the day-to-day life at the Embassy; from business lunches to grand gala dinners and family meals to drinks receptions.
The reception was attended by world famous chefs, television celebrities, food writers and critics who all welcomed the fresh approach Danilo has applied to his book. Chef’s family and friends where also on hand to lend support.
The hardback book contains authentic Italian dishes using some of the finest produce available. Featured dishes include some of the Ambassadors personal favourites; multi-coloured burrata tortellini with Sicilian red prawns in a smoked artichoke broth; Veal Cheek “pizzaiola”, and a Pumpkin panna cotta with apples and mosto cotto.
You can read about Danilo’s culinary career in his “Chef’s Table Interview”
The book is divided sections that reflect the running of the embassy based on style of occasion instead. This provides an insight on how Danilo plans his menus at the Italian Embassy, and how certain recipes are perfect for particular events. If you are looking to impress someone at home, each dish is applicable to home cooking and home kitchens. Nothing is regimented in this book, and Danilo encourages you to experiment and interpret dishes and elements of recipes as you like.
Danilo says: “I never underestimate the comforting side of food and cooking is truly an act of care and love. He is a great believer in using quality produces and also an advocate of not wasting food. A section of his book is dedicated to supporting the food charity Food Cycle (@foodcycle) and the work they do supporting people at risk of food poverty and social isolation.
Despite no Ferrero Rocher.. the evening was a great success and we wish Danilo every success with his book “4 Grosvenor Square” – the address of the Embassy if you were wondering.
4 Grosvenor Square is published in English and Italian and available for pre-order from Amazon now with general released on 30th November from Waterstones and all good book shops. RRP: £25.00.
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Back with a vengeance, following the amazing popularity of last years event, this year the Cambscuisine restaurants are going the whole hog for a Wild Game Week in November! They will be sourcing all the wild game locally from the Radwinter Estate (Saffron Walden) and the Denham Estate (Bury St Edmunds.) All 6 Cambscuisine restaurants will be offering wild game specials at lunchtime and during the evening throughout the week (7th – 13th November 2016.)
In addition, you can now book at the restaurants below for a unique 3 course game night menu on the following evenings in November:
£35 per person for 3 courses
Monday 7th – Cambridge Chop House
Tuesday 8th – The Tickell Arms, Whittlesford
Wednesday 9th – St John’s Chop House
Thursday 10th – The Cock, Hemingford Grey
Friday 11th – The Crown & Punchbowl, Horningsea[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Chef/owner of The Frog, Adam Handling is inviting two “Guests of Favourite Tables” to sample one of the most talked about menus in London. A table for two will be reserved for the lucky winner for any lunchtime in October (see the menu below)
For your chance to win TWO tasting menu lunch’s at The Frog Restaurant visit favourite tables on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FavouriteTables/), “Like” our page and then Post your answer to this simple question: How many fingers and toes does a Frog have?
The award is for two tasting menu’s (sample above – however this is subject to seasonal change and ingredient availability) for a lunchtime service. The prize does not include any drinks, gratuities or travel costs. The award is not transferable and does not have a cash value alternative.
Terms and Conditions
The promoter is Favourite Tables Ltd. company no.9127329 registered office is at The Old Jewellers, High Street, Huntingdon. PE28 3EH
- The prize:
- 2 tickets for a lunch time in October 2016 for The Frog by Adam Handling tasting menu. The venue is in London E1.
- The prize is not transferable and is subject to availability. We reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- To ENTER:
- Like Favourite Tables Facebook page
- Then tell us How many, in total, fingers and toes does a Frog have. Post your answer on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/FavouriteTables/)
- Entrants must be able to attend on any weekday lunch time during October 2016 and make their own way to the restaurant location
- Employees of Favourite Tables Ltd. and Adam Handing’s The Frog and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition cannot enter competition.
- Competition closes 11:59pm 29/09/16. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- Winners will be chosen at our sole discretion.
- By entering this competition, you are agreeing to participate in a short promo video to be filmed at the event/lunch and to the video being used at our discretion for promotional purposes.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person/Facebook account. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- Winners will be chosen: from all entries received and verified by Promoter and or its agents on 30/09/16
- The winner will be notified via Facebook and asked to confirm via email within 3 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 3 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current [UK] data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date by emailing the following address: [This email address is being protected] firstname.lastname@example.org]
- The promoter will notify the winner and their details confirmed for attendance to The Frog restaurants on the specified date, to be confirmed by mutual agreement.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by [English] law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of [England].
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Favourite Tables Limited and not to any other party.
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Afternoon Tea Week 2016
Afternoon Tea Week is between 8th and 14th August, celebrates what is one of the nation’s favourite past times.
The Hotel has recently undergone an extensive £30 million refurbishment. This luxury hotel is a unique blend of historically significant interiors and textural design that creates a sense of warmth and repose, whilst offering modern and innovative facilities. St. Ermin’s Hotel is located just minute’s from St. James’s Park. Entered via tree-lined courtyward, it is a haven of calm, offering visitors an unforgettable Afternoon Tea experience.
The Hotel even boasts it’s own “Bee Hotel” and their clever local bees have just produced an amazing Honey that you can spread on Scones or sweeten your Tea with.
The Flying Scotsman:
Chef Adam Handling could be described as the “Flying Scotsman”. His culinary career is certainly steaming ahead with cook books, artisan chocolates, olive oil and even his own branded Gin. His restaurant, Adam Handling at Caxton and Adam himself have received critical acclaim and accolades over the past months since he came to the attention of restaurant goers, foodies and the avid fans of the BBC MasterChef, the professionals in 2013, where he reached the finals.
Adam has recently parted company with the Hotel Group which housed his restaurant and Adam Handling at the Caxton is to be rebranded with a new image and a pared down menu, introducing a grill restaurant, offering steaks and burgers. So the leap forward, excuse the pun, for Adam is the opening of the first of a series of restaurant he plans to open over the next 8-10 months. Welcome The Frog (brilliant logo concept created by the inimitable @fatpunkstudio )
Plans will see another two “Frog” concept locations and an eponymous flagship restaurant in the West End. The first Frog will be found in East London in part of the Old Truman Brewery (Hanbury Street/Brick Lane area). When Favourite Tables meet with Adam and the team, Head Chef Steve Kerr, Development Chef Jamie Park and Sous Chef Connor they were all on site, shirt sleeves rolled up. Work was just starting on converting what was previously an Italian restaurant in Ely’s Yard.
When we re-visited a few days later, lots had changed in the kitchen area, the bar and cocktail area.
Equipment suppliers, installation companies, builders, electrical engineers and Adam were all onsite and working very hard to meet the opening night date of 7th June. When asked how confident Adam was to having everything ready for the 7th, his immediate reply, “oh we will be open”
The menu, still in development, will be based on a 5 course taster menu, at around £40 per head, which will be listed on a daily blackboard. As much as possible, ingredients will be sourced from the local suppliers on their doorstep. So if they only have six mackerel then the course will be replaced on the Blackboard when all have been sold. When pushed for a little more detail of the types of dishes available the detail of “Mad as a Box of Frogs’ were explained: Frogs Legs and Chicken lolly pops with a Wild Garlic emulsion served in a wooden box. An A La Carte menu is also under development, which, knowing Adam as we do, will be worth waiting for.
On the day of our revisit to Ely’s Yard, it had just been announced who this years BBC Great British Menu chefs would be and Adam Handling was confirmed as representing the Scottish Region.
Although filming had taken place several months ago, whilst he had been competing in the Chef of the Year, Adam remained tight lipped about how he got on and the outcome. Some secrets are meant to be kept!
We will be glued to the television when the programmes are aired later this month and cheering him on nonetheless.
The Frog, 2 Ely’s Yard, Old Truman Brewery Hanbury Street, London E1 6QR[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
This week welcomes the now annual Sausage RollOff taking place at the venue that is now synonymous with fine Artisan baking events, The Red Lion in Barnes.
And favourite tables will be there to capture every pastry crumbling moment. Now you may think this is just a bit of silly fun, but not so as is proved by some of the top flight chef’s taking part. Serious reputations could be on the line. Some familiar “favourite tables’ locations will be mincing finest pork and adding secret ingredients to try and win the title and the Golden Sausage Roll
• Alec Tomasso, ‘The Weeping Chef’
• Eden Allsworth Representing East Kent College
• Johnnie Mountain
• Ollie Couillaud ,Co-owner, Sams Of Brighton
• Allan Picket, Piquet Restaurant, Newman Street
• Si Toft, The Dining Room, Abersoch, Wales
• Oliver Marlow, DM Group Pubs
• Sven Hanson-Britt, Miele Great Britain
• Alan Paton of Stoke By Nayland Hotel & Golf Resort, Suffolk
• Calum Franklin, The Holborn Dining Room
• Jade Clark, The Hinds Head Hotel, Aldermaston
• Jonathan Pellew, The Blue Boat, W6
• Kevin Jones, The Chamberlain Hotel, London,
• Matt Hill, Down Hall Country House Hotel, Bishop’s Stortford
• Phil Harrison, The Anglesea Arms, W6
• Rob Hunter, The Gun Docklands, Canary Wharf
• BNY Mellon John Grabecki, ‘Roll Off’ champion 2015
• Matt Hunter, The Star Inn the City, York
• Lehman Street Tavern (new Geronimo Inns site)
• MYPIE Pie Truck Owner & Chef Chris Brumby, ‘Roll Off’ champion 2014
Here’s hoping we get to sample a few of the creations entered, together with a pint or two of Fullers London Pride and that not too many resemble…..
Thaikhun – Cambridge
Saturday 9th January saw the first Thai cookery lessons take place at Thaikhun in Cambridge and favourite tables had our competition winners there learning how to cook some very tasty thai dishes.
Competition winner Tanya treated mum Maria to the day in the Cambridge
The day started with Chef Thong showing the class how to make Spring Rolls
Then it was over to the “students” to have a try. Chef was on hand to offer extra help where needed. Tanya and her Mum got straight into preparing the ingredients for the spring roll filling.
Once cooked the filling needed to cool slightly before being wrapped ready for deep frying. Chef Thong then showed the group how the wrap the filling in the pastry ready for cooking
Everyone in the class really enjoyed the lesson and then had a go at the spring rolls
The results were very impressive and really tasty….
Now back to school for the main course Pad Thai…
Chef Thong demonstrates how to take the ingredients and create a fabulous Pad Thai. We had the chance to try chefs result and it was amazing. How would the students get on…
Fantastic result by Tanya and Maria, which left some over for a doggie bag (box). Everyone had a brilliant day and chef was very impressed with the winners of the Favourite Tables competition.
If you want to attend a future Cookery Class at Cambridge contact email@example.com for further details.
We would like to thank Thai Leisure Group for making the two tickets available for this competition and we are sure future competitions will be possible.[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Find Somewhere To Eat
- December 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (3)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- May 2018 (2)
- March 2018 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- January 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (2)
- June 2017 (2)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (3)
- August 2016 (3)
- June 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (1)
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia