Favourite Five (plus one) for Brighton this May
Favourite Tables recently had a great time visited Brighton and we wanted to find the top five dishes, from all the Favourite Tables restaurants, that we could say are the “must-try” dishes on menus and that are available during the whole of May.
So putting our money where our mouths are, several meals were consumed and this is our summary of the Best of the Best. So no matter how much time you will be spending in Brighton this month, a day trip, in town for business meetings or weekend away these are the tried and tested dishes that you simply need to discover for yourselves.
Jerk Monkfish Tail
Inside the Artists Residence, a 23-bedroom townhouse hotel at the top end of Regency Square is The Set Restaurants and their accompanying Cocktail bar, The Fix. The inside of both restaurants is original, relaxed and casual with a rustic and eclectic decor. Our first Favourite Five dish is a Jerk spiced Monkfish tail with Mango Salsa, chargrilled sweet corn, Jerk & Squid ink reduction and cornbread.
The Set Restaurant: Directions, Menus and Bookings
** Special mention for the uber-yummy Miso Marshmellow given to us as an appetiser.
Suckling Pig Three ways “Assiette”
The Restaurant at Drakes Hotel is featured in numerous food guides and has received many accolades recently. You can easily forget you are only a short distance from the busy city centre on Marine Parade, in this cool and calm restaurant. Service was, as you would expect, impeccable. The Trio of Suckling pig – Tenderloin, Loin Cutlet and Rolled Crispy Belly with Morcilla Slices, Red Lentils, Apple Sauce and Quince is one of the stars of our Favourite 5 for Brighton.
The Restaurant at Drakes – Directions, Menus and Bookings
** The Wagyu Beef Tartare, pre-starter was outstanding.
Spiced Rack of Lamb
The Coal Shed on Boyces Street (those visiting from London can now sample Coal Shed cuisine closer to home with the recent opening of a sister restaurant near Tower Bridge) is famed for its Steaks, the Rib-Eye being regularly mentioned by diners. However, following the recommendation of Nick our waiter we went for the Spiced Rack of Lamb. The lamb comes from a small holding in Oxford and is cooked medium rare, with a chickpea ragu made with tomato, onion, coriander, cumin & ras el hanout (similar to the Indian spice, garam masala), a ginger yoghurt dressing, sliced spring onions and Zhug (a Yemeni dressing made from, fresh coriander,parsley, chilli, olive oil, lime and garlic) The cooking of the lamb was stunning.
The Coal Shed – Directions, Menus and Bookings
Tandoori Black Bream
One of, if not the, oldest restaurant serving Pan-Indian cuisine in Brighton. Try the Indian Summer’s Tandoori Black Bream, which is marinated in roasted spices and then cooked in the tandoor oven. Served with Mumbai Aloo (spiced potato) and a Sesame Raita, accompanied by a fresh Fennel, Pomegranate and Baby Tomato Salad. The fish was full of flavour, mildly spiced and the skin light and perfectly crispy.
Indian Summer – Directions, Menus and Bookings
- Cuttlefish with Ink Tagliatelle
Restaurant 64 Degrees was voted Best Restaurant in the Brighton Top 20 Awards two years running (Head Chef Michael Bremner also won Best Chef both years) The restaurant is described as innovative, eclectic small-plate dining in a sleek, industrial-style space with an open kitchen. We sat at the Chef’s Counter to watch the preparation of our chosen dish, Cuttlefish with Ink Tagliatelle and Oregano. The short list of ingredients does not do justice to the flavour this dish delivers. The Cuttlefish soft and perfectly cooked, The Black Ink Tagliatelle thin and exactly prepared to add texture to the dish.
Restaurant 64 Degrees – Directions, Menu’s and Bookings
And our “Plus One”
- Pumpkin Seed Icecream
We had intended to just feature five dishes for our Favourite Five for Brighton, However, when we tasted this Pumpkin Seed Ice cream it just had to be listed. Silo of Brighton is described as a Zero Waste establishment or Pre-Industrial food preparation Kitchen, that said they do create beautiful, innovative dishes which are full of incredible flavours. The slightly nutty not too sweet creamy ice cream, subtle pine oil and the Oats and Seeds topping is just incredible.
Silo Brighton – Directions, Menu’s and Bookings
Find Somewhere To Eat
- December 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (3)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- May 2018 (2)
- March 2018 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- January 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (2)
- June 2017 (2)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (3)
- August 2016 (3)
- June 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (1)
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
- Chef Cyrus Todiwala sits down with Chef’s Table
- Matt Waldron, Head Chef at Park House Cardiff Talks to Chef’s Table
- Chef Stuart Muir of Dine Edinburgh talks to Chef’s Table
- The Five Fields
- We meet with Alex Boyd Executive Head Chef at Caxton Grill for Chef’s Table
- Tyddyn Llan our favourite Michelin restaurant
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia