Earlier this year we had the pleasure of trying out the top rated restaurant in Nottingham – Gurkha One.
As we went quite late there were only a couple of other diners in.
We were seated and given menus. Our first surprise was that the prices were much higher than those advertised on the website. I can only assume that the website hasn’t been updated or they are the takeaway prices (we are talking about £3 cheaper for a main meal onlne).
Regardless, we ordered a couple of poppadoms. These came with mango chutney, onion salad and mint yogurt. The mango had quite a kick to it which wasn’t well received by a certain non-spice eater at the table!
Drinks prices were very high so I ordered a small Cobra, bottled, at £3 for 330ml.
For mains I went for a vegetable madras with pilau rice. The others went for vegetable vindaloo and saag aloo.
The staff here are very friendly and chatty! The owner was telling us about the history of the restaurant, it has only been open since November and got to the top of Tripadvisor reviews by March after a quiet few months. He told us how they prepare everything from scratch in the kitchen and how that differs from most places.
On trying my madras (which came out very promptly) I could instantly tell this was like no other I had tasted! It had the best flavour, best texture and was all round the best curry I have ever had (and believe me, I have had A LOT). The heat level slowly crept up on me and was never too intense, it was perfect. The rice was wonderful. Colourful and spot on. The portions were very good too, I didn’t quite manage to finish mine!
The vegetable vindaloo was also described as the best to date.
Our only issue was with the saag aloo. As we asked for it to be very mild and this couldn’t be done. The way they do their spinach is using a blender which makes the meal look a bit grim in presentation, but it does taste very good (to those of us accustomed to heat!) The owner was very apologetic and took the dish back to re-make. Unfortunately this didn’t make a difference and the only solution was to provide Greek yogurt with the meal. The price of the meal was deducted from the final bill which was very considerate of them.
The owner was keen to know where we’d heard about them and to share their story which was nice. Although I think he was slightly distracted with the saag aloo situation as he forgot to provide my glass for the water, which was definitely needed by that point
We received hot towels when we had finished, which were actually very, very hot. With the bill we got mints and definitely lots of smiles!
Overall, this place is a great little restaurant.
If you are in the area and want to try Indian food at its best, and are willing to pay that little bit more for the experience, look no further!
Nuovo is a lovely restaurant – interior is great – warm and welcoming. Staff are super friendly too and knowledgeable on the wide range of dishes on the menu.
The restaurant offers European Tapas which is a great way of dining with friends. We ordered loads of dishes and munched our way through Bruschetta, Chilli Goats Cheese, Lamb Meatballs, Patatas Bravas, Cod Cheeks – the list goes on! It was all really good!
Drink range is great too and we were offered a taste of the draught cider before we bought which was a nice touch.
The restaurant also has a deli counter too!
Pretty popular too – booking advised![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Les Olives is an absolutely gorgeous Tapas in a super setting! Great Spanish music, wooden tables, huge tapas menu and super staff!
We love getting a jug of Sangria, ordering loads of Tapas followed by any of the desserts – all made in house followed up by a lovely liqueur! We’ve been to this restaurant many times and we always have great food, service and an awesome time! It’s our fave by a long way!
The menu is fabulous for veggies too – a huge selection to choose from and the menu changes frequently so you’ll always be able to try something new!
Beer selection is fab too – lots of Spanish beers to really make you feel like you’re in a Spanish Taverna![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
The Britannia Inn is a warm and friendly pub in Llanmadoc, North Gower, with a great restaurant and pub menu.
One of the greatest pleasures in life is to drop in for a simply delicious steak sandwich, chips and salad and large ice-cold Guinness, after a walk around Whitford Bay and Broughton beach. On a good day, when the sun is shining and the sky is clear, the views over the estuary are wonderful.
For a special meal, their restaurant menu and great service are hard to beat and you’re always made to feel so welcome.
Absolutely love holding our WI Christmas Dinner there – and it’s only 1.5 miles from home, so even possible to walk back after a convivial evening![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Find Somewhere To Eat
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia