Chef Alex Bond has been cooking since he was 19 years old and most of his working life has mainly been in Michelin-starred kitchens including 42 The Calls in Leeds, Restaurant Sat Bains in Nottingham, Auberge du Lac in Hertfordshire and Turners in Birmingham.
It has been for some time his ambition to open his own restaurant. Alchemilla recently opened in Nottingham is the realisation of that. Alchemilla has been two years in the making with the project to turn an old 19th-century coaching house, which had remained empty for over 150 years, into a modern light space for a restaurant, whilst retaining the character of the building.
The food is clean, fresh and a talking point with diners as the menus have elements that they won’t necessarily have tried before. Alex is a keen gardener and is also married to a gardener so he uses vegetables and plants as centre stage in the cooking. With the resulting dishes delighting and surprising people with the flavours that can be achieved by letting vegetables feature prominently in the menu.
We wanted to know a little more about Chef and his plans:
Q: Which Chef/s influenced you in the past? Who continuous to influence you now?
A: Every chef I have worked for has influenced me whether it’s for good or bad reasons, we can learn from all of these experiences whether its cooking techniques and philosophies, how I wanted to treat my staff or run my business
Q: Which restaurant would you like to go to? (that you haven’t had the opportunity to visit yet)
Q: What is set to be the next ‘new’ ingredient? And which in particular interests you.
A: There’s been a real shift towards less protein in my cooking over the last 4 years and that seems to be a big thing in this country. I know it’s very Nordic but my plant-based cooking feels very British which I love.
Q: If there were a “Fantasy League” of Chefs who would make up your perfect brigade?
A: I would have to go with Nathan Outlaw on the fish, Gareth Ward on the sauce, James Petrie on the pastry, myself on the vegetables, Tom Spencley and Tony Parkin on the larder
Q: What foods or styles of cooking do you enjoy cooking the most and which do you most like to eat?
A: I love cooking with vegetables, a large hand dived scallop almost does the work for you whereas a cabbage or cauliflower needs thought, effort and skill
Q: What is your favourite dish on the current menu/s in which you use ingredients or produce from your most local supplier?
A: Cauliflower, roasted yeast, almond
Q: If for one night you could be invited to cook alongside any Chef past or present who would that be and why?
A: I would love to smash out a service with Pascal Barbot of L’astrance in Paris
My Favourite Tables – a restaurant I have visited several times and why?
Restaurant (1): Ynyshir. Gareth Ward is doing some of the most innovative food in the country and I have had 4 meals there and it just goes from strength to strength
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Nuovo is a lovely restaurant – interior is great – warm and welcoming. Staff are super friendly too and knowledgeable on the wide range of dishes on the menu.
The restaurant offers European Tapas which is a great way of dining with friends. We ordered loads of dishes and munched our way through Bruschetta, Chilli Goats Cheese, Lamb Meatballs, Patatas Bravas, Cod Cheeks – the list goes on! It was all really good!
Drink range is great too and we were offered a taste of the draught cider before we bought which was a nice touch.
The restaurant also has a deli counter too!
Pretty popular too – booking advised![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Les Olives is an absolutely gorgeous Tapas in a super setting! Great Spanish music, wooden tables, huge tapas menu and super staff!
We love getting a jug of Sangria, ordering loads of Tapas followed by any of the desserts – all made in house followed up by a lovely liqueur! We’ve been to this restaurant many times and we always have great food, service and an awesome time! It’s our fave by a long way!
The menu is fabulous for veggies too – a huge selection to choose from and the menu changes frequently so you’ll always be able to try something new!
Beer selection is fab too – lots of Spanish beers to really make you feel like you’re in a Spanish Taverna![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="7569756"]
Find Somewhere To Eat
- December 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (3)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- May 2018 (2)
- March 2018 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- January 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (2)
- June 2017 (2)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (3)
- August 2016 (3)
- June 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (1)
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
- Chef Cyrus Todiwala sits down with Chef’s Table
- Matt Waldron, Head Chef at Park House Cardiff Talks to Chef’s Table
- Chef Stuart Muir of Dine Edinburgh talks to Chef’s Table
- The Five Fields
- We meet with Alex Boyd Executive Head Chef at Caxton Grill for Chef’s Table
- Tyddyn Llan our favourite Michelin restaurant
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia