This was our fourth visit to Cornerstone so you might be wondering why we love it here so much. Well actually it’s very simple the fish dishes created by chef Tom Brown are amazing and the desserts by Kelly Cullen are delicious so when you match this along with the great friendly service the decision to keep coming back is very easy.
It was also, therefore, no surprise when they received yet another award meaning they are now the proud holders of 3 AA Rosettes. The surrounding area in Hackney Wick where the restaurant is situated is being developed all the time which surely can only benefit this place as well. It’s very easy to get to as its only a very short walk from the station and also close to the Olympic Village which in fact as it was a nice day is the route we took from Stratford. On our arrival we were given the usual friendly welcome just like our previous visits. Our table couldn’t have been better as it was right opposite the pass where Tom completes and makes sure each dish is perfect before it’s sent out. Our lunch started with a complimentary glass of bubbles courtesy of Tom. We were then given the menu which was full of fabulous new dishes to try as well as a couple of old favourites.
On our previous visits we’ve always ordered the entire menu so after deliberating if we could leave anything out only to remember how good they were before we decided to once again order everything. This decision brought a smile to the managers face as she remembered that we did this the last time.
We started with the most amazing Sourdough Toast with Netherend Farm Butter which was quickly followed by two selections of Oysters. The first is the original Pickled Oyster with Celery, Horseradish & Dill and the new Native Oyster with a Seaweed Hot Sauce.
Once we finished the oysters we then ordered a fabulous bottle of Certosa an Italian Rose Wine from the Island of Capri which was a real delight and accompanied the remainder of the dishes nicely Next on the list was the first of stunning new dishes a fantastic Brill Tartare with Wild Garlic, Mushrooms & Egg Yolk. This was followed by Cured Gurnard with Grapes, Almonds & Sherry Vinegar. We finished this little section with a favourite the Mackerel Pate with Cider, Sea Purslane & heavenly Treacle Bread After enjoying a little break we were then treated to some fantastic St Austell Bay Mussels in a Cafe de Paris sauce just sublime especially when you come across a couple of beautiful Clams hidden at the bottom.
Following this was another fabulous new dish of Fried Jerusalem Artichokes with Cod’s Roe & Hazelnuts before enjoying a couple of fabulous Hand Dived Scallops, Coral Butter & Lime a pure delight We then continued to another old favourite with a slight change the Potted Shrimp Crumpet now with Kohlrabi, Gherkins & Parsley but still amazing. This was followed by two more new dishes the first being a fabulous Roast Cornish Hake with Celeriac, Anchovy & Chilli. Then came the highlight of the day a truly stunning Whole Monkfish Tail with the famous Chicken Butter Sauce.
If you come here even for just one dish then this is it.
After enjoying the amazing dishes another rest was required. During this time manager then came over to ask if we’d like the cheese course or dessert. We looked at her and just smiled and she knew what was coming as we said you may now bring the rest. This is where the amazing Kelly Cullen takes over starting with a fabulous Cheese Course consisting of a Blue Cheese, Honey Cake, Figs & Walnuts a perfect combination. Now it was time for desserts and once again Kelly excelled herself with three absolute beauties. The first was a fantastic Sea Salt Praline Tart & Pecan simply amazing. The second was a stunning Pavlova with Rhubarb, Clotted Cream & Ginger. Then our last dessert was a fabulous Dark Chocolate Torte with Blood Orange & Creme Fraiche Ice Cream.
We finished with a coffee and Petit Fours which brought to end another memorable lunch here at Cornerstone. Before we left it was nice to have a chat with Tom who really is such a nice person. I’d like to Thank Tom, Christian & Kelly for the amazing food plus thanks to the front of house team for their excellent service. Another plus is that the menu changes often which is great if you are local and are able to visit on a regular basis. So yes I would highly recommend a visit as you are really missing out if you haven’t been yet. I for one certainly won’t be leaving it too long before I return and try more of this restaurant’s amazing dishes
|Address:||3 Prince Edward Road London E9 5LX|
Find Somewhere To Eat
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia