Robert Reid of Balthazar London
Robert was brought up in South Africa, where he excelled at a catering college. Representing his country, he won the Junior Chef of the Year award at the annual Global Junior Chef of the Year competition held in the South of France.
It was here that Robert met Roger Vergé, who offered him a job at his exclusive three starred Michelin restaurant, Moulin de Mougins, after having spent just a week in his kitchen.
After two happy years in the South of France, Robert moved to The Crocodile in Strasbourg, another three starred Michelin establishment, subsequently returning to Paris for a spell at Joël Robuchon’s Jamin.
It was during Robert’s time at Jamin that he met Gordon Ramsay, who introduced him to Marco Pierre White. After five years in France, Robert ventured to London to join Marco’s three starred Michelin team at The Oak Room, where he stayed for almost a decade.
Leaving the formality of Michelin starred restaurants, Robert then took up a position as Head Chef at Home House, an exclusive Private Members’ Club in London’s West End, until he met with Keith McNally and started on the journey that was to become Balthazar London. Robert’s softly spoken, mild mannered and open-minded character fits well with Balthazar owner, Keith McNally’s ethos. In his spare time, he enjoys shooting, fishing and spending time with his wife and two children.
Favourite Tables asked Robert for a place he like to visit.. He came prepared with three favourites
It’s difficult to pick just one! – I travel to and from work on my bike which means I get to explore the streets of London and discover new restaurants, it’s a real treat. The most important thing – other than the food of course – is that I can enjoy my meal with family or friends in a fun and relaxed environment.
The River Café has to be one of my firm favourites. They use only the finest, freshest produce, and their dishes are well executed without being overly complicated. Plus the service is impeccable.
Address: Thames Wharf, Rainville Road, London W6 9HA
‘Phone: 020 7386 4200
Pitt Cue Co. in Soho consistently draws a gigantic crowd with queues that snake around the block, but let me tell you, it is well worth the wait. Their Caramel Ribs with creamy Bone Marrow Mash is hearty and incredibly moreish – it goes down a treat during the cold winter months.
Address: 1 Newburgh Street, Soho, London W1F 7RB Phone: 020 7287 5578
I also have to mention La Trompette in Chiswick. Head Chef Rob Western is fantastic, not to mention a great friend. I admire his passion and attention to detail, and whenever I visit I always leave wanting more.
Address: 5-7 Devonshire Rd, Chiswick, London W4 2EU
‘Phone: 020 8747 1836
Find Somewhere To Eat
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia