The Oxford Blue Pub – Old Windsor
If you’re looking to enjoy fantastic food & drink with excellent friendly service in a relaxed atmosphere at a fabulous countryside location then look no further than the Oxford Blue Pub. This was a truly fantastic evening and one I’ll definitely be looking to repeat in the not too distant future.
So how did we hear about this place? I had seen it on Favourite Tables and then when a chef I know from a restaurant not to far away visited for Sunday Lunch and the pics looked great. So visited their website to see who the chef was plus take a look at the menu and all seemed good so with that in mind made a reservation and on a recent Saturday, we made the trip from east to west to see for ourselves.
We were lucky enough to find a B&B just a short walk away. We arrived on Saturday and the outside was impressive especially as it was all lit up. On entering we received a delightful welcome as we arrived early to sample one of the beers from the local breweries. While we were looking at the drinks we received our first nice surprise as two complimentary glasses of champagne from the chef arrived at the table.
Also at this time out came some amazing Venison Bon Bon’s that were just little balls of heaven. We then followed this by enjoying an aperitif where I did get to try well a local beer which had to be the Oxford Blue Ale of course.
While enjoying our drinks it gave us the chance to look around. As you enter the bar is on your immediate left. To the right is the main dining area with additional seating area straight ahead. We were seated in the main area at a table that overlooked the front and to which in daylight would give you the chance to look at the stunning views. Once seated it was time to look at the A la Carte menu which had some amazing game which is inspired by the area. Before our starters, we got to enjoy some delicious warm Sourdough Bread.
Our first courses were a fantastic Braised Suckling Pigs Trotter with Black Pudding, Apple Carpaccio & Sauce Gribiche accompanied by three thin slices of crackling which not only tasted amazing but the apple really refreshed the palate. We also chose the amazing Shellfish Rarebit with Lobster, Scallop & Cockles which was rich and creamy but just heaven. Before we had our mains we received our second delightful surprise as the chef sent us out a little extra course and fantastic it was to a beautiful Mushroom Tartlet with Truffle & Wild Mushroom Veloute.
Now on to the main. courses which were also amazing and of course we chose two incredible game dishes, the Windsor Great Park Red Deer with a Braised Shoulder Croquet and a Caramelised Pear & Chicory Tart. The other dish was the Roast Crown of Woodcock with Confit Leg, King Oyster Mushroom & Spring Onion Spelt Risotto. These dishes were just sublime & enhanced as we also ordered the mixed green vegetables and the beef fat chips. It was now time for a rest before moving on to desserts.
This is where the amazing creations of Ami take over and we weren’t let down here either as each dessert was an absolute treat. The Rhubarb & Custard Mille Feuille did not only taste delicious but was a work of art. We also had the fabulous Banoffee Soufflé with Banana Ice Cream & Toffee Sauce as well as the Milk Chocolate, Salted Caramel & Malt Ice Cream. Both of these desserts were simply chocolate heaven. We then finished with tea & coffee. With this came a thick slice of Salted Caramel Chocolate and a little hammer which you use to break the chocolate into pieces.
So this brought an end to a fantastic evening well or so we thought as there was one final surprise in store. We were asked if we’d like to go into the kitchen as Head Chef and Owner Steven would like to meet us. This was an honour and gladly accepted as we also got to meet wife & pastry chef Ami. You could clearly see the passion for the area and the produce they use. We had the pleasure of telling him his food was amazing and matched by excellent friendly service from his team and to tell him we were looking forward to returning again soon. Then before leaving, we were given a glass of homemade Limoncello to truly finish the evening in style. This to me is a must visit so yes I would highly recommend making a reservation and I certainly can’t wait to return. Thank You to everyone at the Oxford Blue for a fantastic evening and wishing you All The Best for the future
|Address:||10 Crimp Hill ,
Old Windsor ,
Windsor Sl4 2QY
Find Somewhere To Eat
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia