We Chat To Josh Overington Chef Patron of Restaurant Le Cochon Aveugle In York
Josh Overington has been passionate about food and it’s origins since he was a young boy, when his Grandfather – a gourmand in the truest sense and a huge influence in Joshua’s life – introduced him to the culinary delights in Yorkshire, as well as further afield in France and other parts of Europe. This led to a year in Sydney, where Josh got a taste of what it was like working in a restaurant kitchen. Returning to the UK he worked for the next couple of years in some of the best kitchens in England, Josh then went to Paris to Le Cordon Bleu to hone his skills further.
Returning to York with partner Victoria, Josh opened the doors to Le Cochon Aveugle (and later, his wine bar, Cave du Cochon) where his set menu changes not just with the seasons, but on an almost daily basis, according to the produce available to him from his carefully selected growers, producers and farmers. He believes in cooking with a lightness of touch – using his skills purely to enhance and showcase the inherent quality of the food itself.
Q: Which Chef/s influenced you in the past? Who continuous to influence you now?
A: David Kinch – Manresa
& Alain Passard – L’Arpege
Both have and continue to inspire me – their use of and focus on vegetables is a constant source of inspiration and helped me to develop in the kitchen.
Q: What would be your last dish (to eat) “the death row question”
A: I keep changing my mind! But at the moment, I’m craving Sunday dinner, so it would have to be Roast Rib of Beef, roasties and Yorkshire puddings.
Q: Which restaurant would you like to go to? (that you haven’t had the opportunity to visit yet)
Q: Which city or country is the most innovative in terms of food?
A: I still think Paris is up there. From the bistro scene to the very fine dining, it is constantly changing and staying fresh. The bistronomy restaurants are responsible – it’s such a great way to dine.
Q: Who have you cooked for that has given you the most pleasure?
A: I’ve cooked for a lot of people, but I always enjoy going home and cooking for my nan. She and my late grandfather fed me many times growing up, so it’s nice to return the favour.
Q: What is your favourite dish on the current menu/s in which you use foraged ingredients or produce from your most local supplier?
A: Our menu changes each day, so it’s hard to say exactly. We work with renowned grower Ken Holland, so our produce changes each day according to what is ready to be harvested. Currently, we have a braised baby leeks on with sauce gribiche, oyster emulsion, which is so tasty – especially at this time of year when you’re yearning for some new Spring produce.
Q: If for one night you could be invited to cook alongside any Chef past or present who would that be and why?
A: Fergus Henderson – he’s written my favourite cookbook. I’d like to pick his brains and have a drink or two with him!
My Favourite Tables – Restaurants I have visited several times and why?
Restaurant (1): The Black Swan at Oldstead and Chef Tommy Banks
Restaurant (2): Skosh, York and Chef Neil Bentinck
|Address:||Le Cochon Aveugle|
Find Somewhere To Eat
- At the Chef’s Table – Jeremy Villanueva, Head Chef, Romulo Café London on
- We Chat to MasterChef Finalist Scott Barnard on
- Chef’s Table visits the Italian Embassy on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- BBC MasterChef Winner Jamie Scott – revisited on
- #Win Tickets for You and a Friend to cook some great Thai Food on
- Favourite Tables Top Ten Restaurants
- War of the Roses, a foodie battle of epic “portions”
- Punjab Curry Supper returns to The Fox at Lyng
- Forget the Indian Summer, how about Christmas in a Tipi
- Look what we discovered in Soho…..
- Is this the “Perfect” answer to eating out on a Sunday with young children?
Find A Cuisine
About Favourite Tables
Our ethos is about places people love – always has been, always will be.
We know that most people choose where to eat based on recommendations from friends and family, a social interaction – a Social Marketplace
Favourite Tables is just that – our recommendations and reviews are from people who love where they go and go back to.
The popularity of each Favourite Tables restaurant is assured on the Social Marketplace and through the restaurant reviews they receive.
Best Restaurants In…
- Unique Destinations
- Restaurants in Wales
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Chester
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Hull & Beverley
- Restaurants in Leeds – Bradford
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Restaurants in London
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Restaurants in New York
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Norwich
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Restaurants in Perth – Australia
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Restaurants Nr Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead
- Restaurants in York
- Reviews of Restaurants in Wales
- Reviews of Restaurants in Unique Destinations
- Reviews of Restaurants in Birmingham
- Reviews of Restaurants in Bolton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Cambridge
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dubai
- Reviews of Restaurants in Dublin
- Reviews of Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Reviews of Restaurants in Liverpool
- Reviews of Restaurants in London
- Reviews of Restaurants in Newcastle
- Reviews of Restaurants in Northampton
- Reviews of Restaurants in Prague
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sheffield
- Reviews of Restaurants in Sydney
- Reviews of Restaurants in Perth – Australia